The flavour combination of fresh mussels and fennel and pasta is hard to beat.
- 1 Kilo Omega mussels,
- 400g fresh Cucina spaghetti
- 1 cup fennel, chopped & include the fennel fronds
- good handful of salt
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 red pepper, cut into 1cm cubes
- 1/4 yellow pepper, cut into 1cm cubes
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- freshly ground white pepper
Remove the mussels from the pack, straining and reserving the juices. Shell the mussels and set aside.
Bring a large pot of water to the boil and add salt. To the pot, add the spaghetti, half of the wild fennel, and cook until al dente.
Drain the fennel & pasta reserving 1 cup of the pasta cooking water.
Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a pan and saute the red and yellow peppers and garlic for 5 minutes.
Add the reserved mussel juice to the pan and and cook until the liquid reduces by a third.
Add the mussels to the pan and stir to heat through. Fold through the spaghetti, the boiled wild fennel, and the reserved pasta cooking water.
Cook over medium heat a couple of minutes to allow the sauce to thicken and the flavours to marry. Transfer to a serving platter sprinkle with the pepper and the remaining wild fennel, and serve hot.