New season's Asparagus in spring time is hard to beat and this simple recipe makes the most of it's subtle, delicate taste which will remain in the memory for a long time.
- 400g fresh Cucina Artisan Linguine
- medium bunch asparagus, washed and tough stalks removed
- 100g butter
- 1 cup (preferably homemade) white breadcrumbs, from stale bread
- 200g cream or creme fraiche
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 50g freshly grated Gruyere or similar mild cheese
- salt and black pepper
Place the asparagus in a large, shallow pan with a lid, add salt and cover with boiling water. Cook for about 8 minutes if the asparagus is thick, less if thin. Drain and plunge into cold water Drain again and cut into 2 cm lengths.
Melt the butter in a large pan, add the breadcrumbs and cook gently stirring all the time, for about 2 minutes. Now add the cream and a little stock. Stir well and add the asparagus and black pepper to taste. Cook for about 5 minutes. Keep warm.
Cook the pasta, drain and add to the asparagus sauce. Add the cheese and stir until it has melted. Turn into a hot dish and serve at once. Serves 2-3.